Monday, December 17, 2012

Sometimes words are not enough..

Collectively, I believe it's safe to say that a lot of parents feel a pang in their hearts when dropping their kids to school. Now, a hunting question hovers over their head... Will I see my child this afternoon?

I'm not writing to judge, analyze or demoralize any group or lawmakers. I'm writing because I too have this hovering question hunting every minute of my day. I anxiously look at the clock every hour-long minute and begin counting down to the moment I have my daughter back in my arms. I have (I admit) tried to dissect this incident at Sandy Hook Elementary using all the methodologies I have learned and applied before on myself or clients. It brings me temporary relief and understanding, and then I'm back at square one.

As I look at the pictures of the group of people who perhaps left us a bit too soon, I am unable to hold back my tears and the unanswerable questions that surround the event itself flood my head.

I have imagined myself face to face with the parents of the children who are now actually enduring the unimaginable, and the words flee me. I would not know what to say.

On Friday evening as we shopped for groceries, the usual annoyed looks or indifferent attitudes towards children were gone. They were replaced with a sense of respect, appreciation and profound compassion. The way every single adult spoke to my daughter made it clear to me that although we were not in Newton, Connecticut, the non local support spread throughout.

Since that day, I HAVE hugged my child tighter. I HAVE told her I love her more times than I can count. I HAVE been more patient during her tantrums. I DO feel grateful to have her with me.

As we each deduce whatever explanation to help us cope, I do wish sincerely that every time we hear Sandy Hook Elementary and their heroes, we realize that we are fragile beings and we are here to make the most out of now.

Let's pay attention to our children, live through example and truly grasp how privileged we are to be touched by the love of a child.

In honor of the brave souls from Sandy Hook Elementary.



(the link to the school will take you to the site where checks can be sent for support of those affected.)

No comments: